French Series - News Consumption in the Digital Era
WHAT: French Series - News Consumption in the Digital Era
WHEN: Thursday, May 2, 2019 – 6pm - 7:30pm
WHERE: La Maison Française – 4101 Reservoir Rd, NW - Washington, D.C. - 20007
PRICE: Free admission
RESERVATION: Online registration required. Eventbrite
ADD. INFOS: Every attendee must be registered under his/her name. Valid ID required. No parking inside the embassy.
The role played by digital technology in how we consume information has upset old balances and shaken up the news market. Pure players – exclusively online media whose digital platforms were once an advantage, and which profited from online advertising and subscribers, now find themselves facing new challenges, given the resurgent appeal of the most respected print brands and the monopoly of digital giants.
Can different methods of consuming news co-exist? What does the future hold for pure players, in the face of the digital giants? Would improved remuneration for print media and copyright protections from digital giants safeguard the freedom of the press? Has investigative journalism become the main weapon against disinformation?
The Embassy of France is pleased to invite you to our next French Series panel discussion event which will be moderated by:
- Alexander Marquardt - Senior National Correspondent for CNN
- Peter Fatelnig - Minister Counsellor for Digital Economy Policy at the Delegation of the European Union to the U.S.
- Amy Mitchell - Director of Journalism Research at the Pew Research Center
- Allison Rockey - Executive Editor and Director of Editorial Strategy at Vox
Program of the evening
- 6:00 pm - 6:45 pm: Panel discussion
- 6:45 pm - 7:30 pm: Q&A